Recent Home Living Property Culture The Team North Shore Living
Recent Home Living Property Culture The Team North Shore Living

Deli In The Park

Written by Emma Brancatisano

Photographed by Des Harris

Local cafe owner Bobby Ivanoff believes ‘hipster’ cafes are overrated. 'We don’t do hipster, fancy. Just wholesome, fresh food - and extremely tasty’, reads his slogan at Deli In The Park in East Lindfield, conjured up over a glass of red and some menu planning.

“In any given industry, people are becoming more and more innovative, wanting to go above and beyond the norm,” Mr Ivanoff said.

“But in hospitality, 80 percent of people just want normal, everyday food. And the other 20 percent? Well, you’ll never make them happy.”

In seven years since he left the corporate world to open Deli In The Park, Mr Ivanoff has seen it all - from the rise and fall of the piled donut to the recent surge of the ancient grain-turned-superfood, quinoa.

He has also seen a fair stream of cafes open - and close - their doors.

“A lot of new places will open up around me. But they’ll come and go,” Mr Ivanoff said.

“We all try, we all experience, we all experiment. But my regular customers will come back saying, ‘All I want is a basic poached egg’.”

Learning the value of less is more, Mr Ivanoff’s formula for luring customers back to his local haven, surrounded by Ku-ring-gai parkland, is simple: “good service, good food and great coffee - in no particular order”.

And when it comes to good food, he says produce is key.

Top sellers on the menu include a classic eggs benedict, dolloped with hollandaise that is made from scratch, a wagyu beef burger and prosciutto poached eggs - where prosciutto is more than a single slice.

While the wait time may rack up as his chefs whisk hollandaise to order, Mr Ivanoff says his customers - stretching from Wahroonga to Willoughby - aren’t phased.

“The East Lindfield community in particular is a loyal hub - they will follow you to the end if you’re good,” he said.

“Being involved in the community sets a huge difference between an ordinary cafe and a cafe that brings people together.”

And while the cafe’s slogan may have started out as a joke, it seems to have stuck.

“People chuckle, but then they’ll come in and experience us - and they’ll come back.”

Deli In The Park -
15 Hughes Place East Lindfield | 02 9415 6556

Keep Reading

Platinum Support For Special Olympics Upper North Shore and The Kuringgai Chase Fun Run or Walk

Grab your running shoes, throw on your active wear, pin on your racing bib because it’s time for North Shore locals to get active for a very important cause. Read More

ST IVES LIVING: The Perfect Place to Tee Off

In the 95 years since Pymble Golf Club first opened, it has transformed into something rather spectacular, boasting one of the area's most beautifully maintained golfing greens Read More